"WE" are everyone who is passionate about education.
Everyone is invited and strongly encouraged to join the PTA - working together is the only way we will overcome challenges and reach big goals.
Membership costs only $5 per year, and covers our school's membership in the state and national PTAs.
Every member of the George Watts Montessori PTA is vital to our success as an organization. We thank all of those who dedicate their limited time and resources to the betterment of our school community.
Our BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- President: Jovonia Lewis, jovonia_lewis (at) hotmail.com
- Vice President: Emily Daly, emily.daly (at) duke.edu
- Treasurer: Annie Ambrose, anniescorza (at) gmail.com
- Secretary: Jennifer Greer, mohnjihr (at) gmail.com
- Teacher Liaisons:
- Amanda Watson, amanda.watson (at) dpsnc.net
- Kate Harris, katherinel.harris (at) dpsnc.net
- Principal, ex officio: Patti Crum, patti.crum (at) dpsnc.net; 919-560-3947
- African American Liaison & PAAC Chair: JoAnna Langston, joannajarrett (at) hotmail.com
- Auditing Committee Chair: OPEN
- Arts & Culture Chairs:
- Gina Chung, ginahchung (at) gmail.com
- Jessica Matthews, jessica.matthews (at) dpsnc.net
- Communications Chair: Anna Zehr, anna.zehr (at) dpsnc.net
- Edible Garden Chairs:
- Jon Bloom, jbloom76 (at) yahoo.com
- Jeff Brown, brown.is.jeff (at) gmail.com
- Exceptional Children’s PTA Chair: Kathleen Duval, duval (at) email.unc.edu
- Family Involvement Chair: Allison Smith, awalshsmith (at) gmail.com
- Fundraising Co-Chairs:
- Brandy Kmiec, brandy.kmiec (at) dpsnc.net
- Julie Williams-Swiggett, juliewilliamsswiggett (at) gmail.com
- Nathan Swiggett, nswiggett529 (at) gmail.com
- Grounds Chair: Tim Dodge, trdodge1 (at) gmail.com
- Hispanic Liaison: Cecilia Barja, cecilia (at) ceciliabarja.org
- Membership Chair: Jeremy Goldstein, jhgoldst (at) gmail.com
about george watts montessori
George Watts Montessori Magnet is a tuition-free* public elementary school in Durham, North Carolina that gives students the confidence to succeed academically, the desire to continue a lifetime of learning, and the respect and love for others that creates a foundation of community relationships and positive life purpose.
In keeping with the Montessori educational approach, George Watts organizes students into multi-age classrooms from Pre-K through 5th grade. The mixed age classrooms offer students the opportunity to learn from older kids, as well as grow into mentors themselves.
We offer the following number of classes:
- 6 Primary (Pre-K + Kindergarten) Classrooms
- 8 Lower Elementary (1st - 3rd) Grade Classrooms
- 5 Upper Elementary (4th - 5th) Classrooms
*K - 5th grade is offered tuition-free. However, DPS is implementing a new sliding scale fee in 2017 for the Pre-K year. You can find out what your family would pay by clicking on this link for the Pre-K sliding scale fee PDF.
You can also learn more about DPS's reasons and goals for this new fee on their website here.